AAA Ultrasound Online Course
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) rupture is associated with a high mortality rate. Patients often present with abdominal pain. Ultrasound can be used to rapidly assess the Aorta to rule out AAA rupture. This online ultrasound course is designed for doctors wishing to learn how to acquire and interpret Abdominal Aorta ultrasound images to answer clinical questions that will affect patient management with AAA.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Identify normal anatomy of the Aorta and the IVC
- Scan the Aorta in two planes (longitudinal & transverse)
- Interpret normal ultrasound appearances of the Aorta and relevant anatomy
- Optimise an ultrasound image
- Measure the Aorta in two planes (longitudinal & transverse)
- Describe the appearance of an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
- Describe the limitations of the examination
- Identify strategies for planning management of patient outcomes.
This course is carried out over a period of 4 weeks. Students with have access to online lectures and Abdominal Aorta scanning demonstration videos each week.
Tutor led online meetings will be held to encourage group discussion, questions and feedback. You will also join your course clinician in a virtual case based discussion to extend your knowledge in making patient management decisions.
A pre and post course quiz will be carried out to evaluate your learning progression and you will be expected to allocate scanning time in your workplace, for the duration of the course in order to acquire and submit ultrasound images to your tutor for review and individual feedback.
As part of the course requirements you will be expected to attend tutor led online meetings in week 2 and 3 of the course and a clinician led online case based discussion in week 4. Online meetings are held on a Wednesday evening at 6.30pm and run for 1 hour.
- Week 1 – Complete pre-course quiz and online course material
- Week 2 – Online Meeting with Tutor (Wednesday 6:30pm - 7:30pm)
- Week 3 – Online Meeting with Tutor (Wednesday 6:30pm - 7:30pm)
- Week 4 – Online Meeting with Tutor & Clinician (Wednesday 6:30pm - 7:30pm)
- Scanning – Upload your images for tutor review for the duration of the course.
- Post-Course – Complete post-course quiz and feedback for approval.
APPROVAL & ACCREDITATION
RACGP | This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium.
ACEM | Approved Educational Activity - 13.5 Accredited Hours.
ACRRM I Accreditation ACRRM ID: 20953
Approved PDP units = 5 Educational activity, 8 Performance Review
Grant eligibility Emergency Medicine, Obstetrics, Surgery & Anaesthetics
Online Course | Virtual meetings held on Wednesday evenings at 6:30pm.