Basic Echo - 5 Day Course
This intensive five-day program provides practitioners at the beginning of the learning curve in cardiac imaging with anatomy, physiology, a detailed knowledge of sonographic planes, terminology, measurements and valvular assessment. There is an emphasis on the practical aspects of these topics with “hands-on” tuition, led by expert sonographers. Low student/tutor ratios (4:1) ensure comprehensive practical tuition in a personalised fashion.
Course content assumes an understanding of:
- The basic physics of ultrasound, including the basic principles of Doppler.
- The cardiac cycle and relationship to the ECG
- Normal adult anatomy
- Sonographic appearances and terminology
- 2D/cardiac anatomy
- Measurements, using 2D, M-mode and Tissue
Doppler Imaging, (TDI)
- Wall motion assessment
- Valvular assessment using colour, pulsed wave
and continuous wave Doppler,
- Normal examination protocol – putting it all together
- Common pathologies
- Case studies will also be discussed
- To provide a detailed description of the sonographic appearances of the heart
- To provide an insight into the haemodynamics and physiology of the heart
- To describe routine measurements associated with M-Mode, 2D and Doppler
- To describe the normal values for heart chamber sizes and wall thickness
- To assess the valves, using qualitative and quantitative analysis and measurements
- To provide an understanding of the physics of Colour and Doppler
- To develop an appreciation of the clinical terminology used in echocardiography
- To provide an overview of common pathologies identified by ultrasound examination
- To provide participants with an opportunity for extensive tutor assisted hands-on echocardiographic experience and access to experienced sonographers for specific problems
ACCREDITATION & APPROVALS
ACEM | Course 027 is approved for 37.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
ASUM | CCPU units included in the course:
- BELS (Basic Echocardiography in Life Support)
- Rapid Cardias Echocardiography (RACE protocol)
ACRRM | This course is approved for 36 total activity hours. PDP units: 3 Performance Review, 32 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
RACGP | This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium. RACGP ID 192298.
ANZCA | Participants in the ANZCA and FPM CPD program may claim this this course under the Knowledge and skills activity Short format learning at 2 credits per hour
CICM | Lectures – Category 2A, points per hour 1;
Demonstrations – Category 2B, points per hour 2;
Skills – Category 3B, points per hour 3
Gold Coast Office
2 Miami Key
Broadbeach Waters, QLD 4218