Basic Echo - 5 Day Course
This intensive five-day program provides practitioners at the beginning of the learning curve in cardiac imaging with anatomy, physiology, a detailed knowledge of sonographic planes, terminology, measurements and valvular assessment. There is an emphasis on the practical aspects of these topics with “hands-on” tuition, led by expert sonographers. Low student/tutor ratios (4:1) ensure comprehensive practical tuition in a personalised fashion.
Course content assumes an understanding of:
- The basic physics of ultrasound, including the basic principles of Doppler.
- The cardiac cycle and relationship to the ECG
- Normal adult anatomy
- Sonographic appearances and terminology
- 2D/cardiac anatomy
- Measurements, using 2D, M-mode and Tissue
Doppler Imaging, (TDI)
- Wall motion assessment
- Valvular assessment using colour, pulsed wave
and continuous wave Doppler,
- Normal examination protocol – putting it all together
- Common pathologies
- Case studies will also be discussed
- To provide a detailed description of the sonographic appearances of the heart
- To provide an insight into the haemodynamics and physiology of the heart
- To describe routine measurements associated with M-Mode, 2D and Doppler
- To describe the normal values for heart chamber sizes and wall thickness
- To assess the valves, using qualitative and quantitative analysis and measurements
- To provide an understanding of the physics of Colour and Doppler
- To develop an appreciation of the clinical terminology used in echocardiography
- To provide an overview of common pathologies identified by ultrasound examination
- To provide participants with an opportunity for extensive tutor assisted hands-on echocardiographic experience and access to experienced sonographers for specific problems
ACCREDITATION & APPROVALS
ACEM | This course accredited for 39.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies for Bedside Echocardiography (including cardiac arrest), Focused Cardiac and Valve Assessments (RACE and FACE protocols) Application of haemodynamic assessment protocols.
ASUM | CCPU units included in the course:
- BELS (Basic Echocardiography in Life Support)
- Rapid Cardias Echocardiography (RACE protocol)
ACRRM | This course is approved for 36 total activity hours. PDP units: 3 Performance Review, 32 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
RACGP | This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium. RACGP ID 192298.
ANZCA | Participants in the ANZCA and FPM CPD program may claim this this course under the Knowledge and skills activity Short format learning at 2 credits per hour
CICM | Lectures – Category 2A, points per hour 1;
Demonstrations – Category 2B, points per hour 2;
Skills – Category 3B, points per hour 3
Gold Coast Office
2 Miami Key
Broadbeach Waters, QLD 4218