Introduction to Emergency Medicine Ultrasound – 3 Day POCUS Course (Lung, BELS, eFAST)
MODULES: LUNG, BELS & eFAST
The Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM) now supports all trainees to understand and perform a range of simple bedside ultrasound scans. The Introductory PoCUS-EM 3 Day (Option B) course refreshes your ultrasound skills in critical illness.
We revise the simple protocols that identify major heart pathologies, common lung conditions, and the eFAST exam. The eFAST exam has utility far beyond unstable trauma, it introduces you to the optimal windows for viewing the solid organs of the abdomen. Those who practise eFAST scanning will find it easy to learn to advance to kidneys, gallbladder and uterus.
Short courses start your credentialing and journey to competence. However, competence requires extensive practice - but with this course you will know what, how and where to start. You will be able to recognise ultrasound anatomy and interpret other people’s scans. You will set yourself up to expand your PoCUS repertoire.
We combine short lectures, short demonstrations and lengthy practical scanning of healthy volunteers, using tutor-student ratios of no more than 1:4. We will use case-based discussions to teach interpretation and integration into clinical situations.
This 3 day course will include the following modules.
- LUNG - Basic Lung ultrasound in the breathless patient
- BELS - Focused (Basic) Echo in Life support / cardiac arrest scenarios
- EFAST - extended focussed abdominal sonography in trauma.
The learning objectives for the student doing the three-day course include:
- Define the indications and views needed for each protocol.
- Recognise and obtain good quality images for each protocol on (relatively) healthy volunteers with a variety of body habitus.
- Understand the implementation of each protocol using case-based quizzes.
- Recognise pathology within the context of a clinical scenario.
- Discuss clinical decision making in the light of the information obtained.
- Synthesise three tools to model multi-system scanning, with the aim of improving patient care.
ASUM | CCPU units included in the course: Extended Focussed Abdominal Scan for Trauma (E-FAST), BELS (Basic Echocardiography in Life Support), Lung. ACRRM | 8 hours Educational Activity; 14 hours Performance Review; Eligible for 3 days Rural Procedural Grant under any component. ACEM | Pending accreditation.
Gold Coast Office
2 Miami Key, Broadbeach Waters,