Lung Ultrasound – 1 Day Course
Lung ultrasound using the stethoscope of the 21st century can really revolutionise your practice. It is undoubtably[DY1] superior to the stethoscope and arguably better than most chest xrays. Learn how to scan for pleural pathologies, effusions, oedema and consolidation. Incorporate into your clinical practice quickly, safely and effectively.
Common emergency presentations including sepsis, trauma, dyspnoea and resuscitation can all be guided and enhanced by the skills acquired with lung ultrasound. Unable to see those sternum/rib fractures on x-rays? Find them easily with ultrasound.
We combine short lectures, short demonstrations and lengthy practical scanning of healthy volunteers, using tutor-student ratios of no more than 1:4. We will use case based discussions to teach interpretation and integration into clinical situations, and phantoms for needling of pleural effusion.
The one-day course will include the following:
- Pneumothorax – recognition and quantification of a pneumothorax
- Haemothorax / pleural effusion – recognition, localisation and quantification of size
- Interstitial oedema / cf. APO - recognition and quantify B line artefacts
- Consolidation and parenchymal pathologies – recognition, localisation and size
- Rib and sternal fractures – find those fractures that you miss on plain x-rays
- Procedural marking – safe procedural guidance and needling technique
- Select correct probe and protocol for the clinical question
- Demonstrate appropriate image acquisition on (relatively) healthy volunteers with a variety of body habitus.
- Recognise the different artefacts and synthesise the pattern to postulate the disease.
- Demonstrate ability to interpret images through the medium of case-based discussion.
- Classify a disease process by the pattern of the patterns.
- Suggest safe or appropriate management.
- Demonstrate the skills to place a needle safely into a pleural effusion.
ACCREDITATION & APPROVALS
ACEM | This course is approved for 8 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
ASUM | Accredited CCPU units included in the course:
Gold Coast Office
2 Miami Key
Broadbeach Waters, QLD 4218