Advanced Emergency Medicine Ultrasound – 3 Day POCUS Course
MODULES: RUSH, RUSH, RUQ
Now that you can scan, it is time to integrate your point-of-care findings into holistic patient care. This course starts with a clinical problem, encourages multisystem scanning and challenges you with real-case based discussions. It is not for the beginner.
You will spend 2 days honing your approach to the hypotensive patient. RUSH is more than just finding a mechanism for hypotension, it is about assessing the capacity of interacting systems to cope with ongoing stress. This will help you tailor you management for the individual patient.
Right upper quadrant is so much more than gallbladder and common bile duct. Abandon your dichotomous labelling habit, think beyond ‘cholecystitis, or not’. Pay close attention to all tissues in the RUQ, learning where and when to look for signs of right heart pathology, lung pathology, renal and bowel disease.
· Rapid Ultrasound in Shock Protocol (Heart, simple lung, Abdomen, IVC and deep veins)
· Right upper quadrant pain presentations
On completion of the course the following topics will be covered:
- The Bayesian approach to point of care ultrasound for appropriate management decisions.
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound
- Practice "hands on" ultrasound scanning skills to answer relevant clinical questions
- Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal and abnormal structures in common clinical scenarios
- Perform E-FAST, AAA, BELS, Proximal Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT)and Biliary tract scanning.
- How to combine RUSH and RUQ protocols in a clinical scenario, with pathology and variants illustrated from real cases.
- Describe the limitations of ultrasound and safe application of ultrasound in medical diagnosis and management.
ACCREDITATION & APPROVALS
ACEM | This course is approved for 23.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
ASUM | Accredited CCPU units included in the course:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
- Extended Focussed Abdominal Scan for Trauma (E-FAST)
- BELS (Basic Echocardiography in Life Support)
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Renal Hyronephrosis & Calculi
Gold Coast Office
2 Miami Key
Broadbeach Waters, QLD 4218