Ultrasound In Right Upper Quadrant Pain - 1 Day Course
A common clinical question is the source of right upper quadrant (RUQ) pain; the commonest cause will be cholecystitis. When asked to investigate RUQ pain, in a formal sonography model, this problem could involve three separate examinations - gallbladder, lung and kidney. The benefit if this course is that it will introduce you to biliary, renal and simple lung base scanning techniques, all in one day. These scans are ‘triage tools’ that enable the clinician to choose the next most appropriate formal test, assign appropriate urgency, and commence the best treatment in the interim. Ideally attendees should feel comfortable with machine optimisation and probe manipulation skills.
• Renal calculi & Hydronephrosis
• Lung bases- pleural effusion
At the end of this course the attendees will be able to:
• Identify the parameters for the safe application of ultrasound and its limitations in medical diagnosis
• Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound.
• Practice “hands on” ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions
• Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal and abnormal structures required to answer common clinical questions
• Perform ultrasound RUQ, Lung and Biliary scanning techniques
• Acquire images obtained on normal adult volunteers & phantoms
• Interpret images from normal adult volunteers
• Equip the learner with the foundation skills to begin to incorporate the ultrasound skills with the clinical situation to make appropriate management decisions
ACCREDITATION & APPROVALS
ACEM | Course 010 is approved for 7.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
ASUM | CCPU units included in the course:
- Renal Hydronephrosis & Calculi
ACRRM | This course is approved for 9 total activity hours. PDP units: 2 Performance Review, 7 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
RACGP | This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium. RACGP ID 192294.
Gold Coast Office
2 Miami Key
Broadbeach Waters, QLD 4218