Ultrasound In Soft Tissue, Fractures, Ocular & FB Removal - 1 Day Course
MSK complaints are one of the most common presentations not only in an emergency setting but also in general practice. Musculoskeletal (MSK) and Soft Tissue ultrasound can be challenging and requires clinical and anatomical correlation. This one day program is designed for all medical professionals with an interest in starting their journey in musculoskeletal ultrasound techniques. The topics provide an overview of soft tissue ultrasound and musculoskeletal pattern recognition, common pathologies, artefacts and the avoidance of common inaccuracies encountered in practice. Practical tuition is in small group sessions using high resolution equipment and volunteer models with experienced tutors. Emphasis is given to scanning protocols and “tips & hints” for obtaining high quality images. Ideally attendees will already feel comfortable with machine optimisation and basic probe manipulation techniques.
Introduction to soft tissue ultrasound including:
• Joint Effusion
• Assessing soft tissue collections
• Assessing lumps and bumps- localisation and ultrasound descriptors.
• Assessing large tendon and muscle injuries
• Identifying Foreign bodies with ultrasound
• Fracture assessment
• Ocular ultrasound
On completion of the course the following topics will be covered:
• Identify the parameters for the safe application of ultrasound and its limitations in medical diagnosis
• Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimization while performing ultrasound
• Practice "hands on" ultrasound scanning skills required to maximize diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions
• Recognise normal sonographic appearances to answer common clinical questions.
• Perform Soft tissue (skin, bones, joints, tendons, enthesis, fascia, nerves, vessels and muscles and eyes) ultrasound
• Acquire images obtained on normal adult volunteers
• Correlate ultrasound skills with clinical reasoning to make appropriate management decisions • Identify the limitations of ultrasound
• Identify when to on-refer patients for formal scanning.
ACCREDITATION & APPROVALS
ACEM | Course 011 is approved for 7.75 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
ASUM | CCPU units included in the course:
- Basic Soft Tissue
ACRRM | This course is approved for 9 total activity hours. PDP units: 1 Performance Review, 8 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
RACGP | This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium. RACGP ID 192295.
Gold Coast Office
2 Miami Key
Broadbeach Waters, QLD 4218