Ultrasound in Anaesthetics Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP, ANZCA
This four-day Anaesthetics ultrasound course is aimed at clinicians with particular interest in resuscitation, retrieval and critical care.
The first two days will focus on cardiac (FELS) and lung scanning to give you tools to assess a critically ill patient and then guide and monitor your management. The following two days are specifically dedicated to regional analgesia, aiming to greatly expand your repertoire of peripheral nerve blocks, core and trunk blocks.
Participants will gain the confidence and knowledge to perform regional anaesthesia in various anatomical regions. With these new tools you can alleviate the pain of several critical procedures, transport your patient in comfort or reduce their fracture on-site without recourse to procedural sedation.
Who should attend?
- Junior House Officer
- Pain Management Specialist
The objectives of this ultrasound course are:
- Identify the parameters of safe application of ultrasound and its limitations in medical diagnosis.
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound.
- Practice “hands on” ultrasound scanning skills enabling you to answer relevant clinical questions.
- To review relational sonoanatomy.
- To provide clinical support regarding clinical techniques when using ultrasound.
CCPU units included in this course:
- Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS)
- Basic Lung Ultrasound
Course 029 is approved for 30.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 27 total activity hours. PDP units: 2 Performance Review, 25 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 2. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 7.5 hours, Reviewing Performance 20 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 4 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and 3 days Emergency Medicine training grants. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 393704.
Participants in the ANZCA and FPM CPD program may claim this this course under the Knowledge and Skills activity short format learning at 2 credits per hour.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.