Rapid Cardiac Echocardiography Course
ASUM, ACEM, ANZCA, CICM
- Normal adult anatomy
- Sonographic appearances and terminology
- M-Mode acquisition & relationship to 2D/cardiac anatomy
- Common pathologies
- Case study discussion
This intensive two-day program provides practitioners at the beginning of the learning curve in cardiac imaging with anatomy, physiology, haemodynamics and knowledge of sonographic planes, terminology and probe manipulation skills.
There is an emphasis on the practical aspects of these topics with hands-on tuition, led by expert sonographers. Low student/tutor ratios (4:1) ensure comprehensive practical tuition in a personalised fashion
Course content assumes an understanding of basic ultrasound physics.
Who should attend?
- Cardio-thoracic Surgeon
- Emergency Physician
- General Physician
- General Practitioner
- General Surgeon
- ICU Registrar
- Junior House Officer
- Nurse Practitioner
- Palliative Medicine Physician
- Renal Physician
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
- To provide a detailed description of the sonographic appearances of the heart
- To provide an insight into the haemodynamics and physiology of the heart through IVC and TPSE measurement
- To develop an appreciation of the clinical terminology used in echocardiography
- To provide an overview of common pathologies identified by ultrasound examination
- To provide participants with an opportunity for extensive tutor assisted hands-on echocardiographic experience and access to experienced sonographers for specific problems
CCPU units included in the course:
- Rapid Cardiac Echocardiography (RCE protocol)
Course 032 is approved for 14 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
Participants in the ANZCA and FPM CPD program may claim this this course under the Knowledge and Skills activity short format learning at 2 credits per hour.
Lectures – Category 2A, points per hour 1;
Demonstrations – Category 2B, points per hour 2;
Skills – Category 3B, points per hour 3.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.