RUSH Protocol Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP
Now that you can scan, it is time to integrate your point of care findings into holistic patient care. This RUSH protocol course teaches from the clinical problem, encourages multi-system scanning and challenges you with real-case based discussions. It is not for the beginner.
In the peri-arrest situation, you have to work with sub-optimal images. You pay attention to function as well as structure. We talk about different ways to gather this vital data, how to cross-check your findings and customise your management.
You will spend two days honing your approach to the hypotensive patient. RUSH is more than just finding a mechanism for hypotension, it is about assessing the capacity of interacting systems to cope with ongoing stress. This course will give you tools to customise your management for each hypotensive patient.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- Junior House Officer
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this RUSH protocol course are:
- The Bayesian approach to point of care ultrasound (PoCUS) for appropriate management decisions;
- Practice hands-on ultrasound scanning skills to answer relevant clinical questions;
- Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal and abnormal function in common clinical scenarios;
- Perform eFAST, AAA, BELS, Proximal Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT) scanning;
- Case based discussions centring on peri-arrest and hypotensive scenarios and challenges to interpretation during crises;
- Describe the limitations of ultrasound and safe application of ultrasound in medical diagnosis and management.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
- Extended Focused Abdominal Scan for Trauma (eFAST)
- Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS)
- Proximal DVT
Course 008 is approved for 16 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 17 total activity hours. PDP units: 8 Performance Review, 1 Performance Review, 8 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 18. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Accredited Activity 40 points under RACGP 2020-22 CPD program. Approved for specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 2 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and Emergency Medicine training grants. RACGP Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 250171.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.