Ultrasound in Soft Tissue Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP
Although soft tissue ultrasound can be challenging and requires consistent practise and anatomical correlation. Musculoskeletal (MSK) complaints are one of the most common presentations not only in an emergency setting but also in general practise.
This one-day soft tissue ultrasound course is designed for all medical professionals with an interest in starting their journey in MSK ultrasound techniques. The topics provide an overview of soft tissue ultrasound and musculoskeletal pattern recognition, including common pathologies, artefacts and the avoidance of common inaccuracies encountered in practice.
Practical tuition is in small group sessions using high resolution equipment and volunteer models with experienced tutors, emphasis is given to scanning protocols and “tips & hints” for obtaining high quality images. Ideally attendees will already feel comfortable with machine optimisation and basic probe manipulation.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- General Practitioner
- Junior House Officer
- Nurse Practitioner
- Rehabilitation Physician
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
- Sport and Exercise Physician
The objectives of this soft tissue ultrasound course are:
- Identify the parameters for the safe application of ultrasound and its limitations in medical diagnosis;
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound;
- Practice hands-on ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions;
- Recognise normal sonographic appearances to answer common clinical questions;
- Perform soft tissue ultrasound (skin, bones, joints, tendons, enthesis, fascia, nerves, vessels, muscles and eyes);
- Acquire images obtained on adult patient models;
- Correlate ultrasound skills with clinical reasoning to make appropriate management decisions;
- Identify the limitations of ultrasound;
- Identify when to on-refer patients for formal scanning.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Basic Soft Tissue
Course 011 is approved for 7.75 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 9 total activity hours. PDP units: 1 Performance Review, 8 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 2 hours, Reviewing Performance 6.5 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 1 day Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and Emergency Medicine training grants. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 414903.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided.