Point of Care Lung Ultrasound Course (Sydney)
ASUM, ACRRM, RACGP
- Physical principles
- Ultrasound machine orientation
- Probe manipulation techniques
- Sonographic appearances terminology
- Needle guidance techniques
- Pleural examination techniques
- Scanning techniques for Pneumothorax
- BLUE protocol and lung ultrasound patterns of images
- Brief introduction to diaphragm excursion measurement as well as echocardiography
This two-day PoCUS lung ultrasound course has been developed for Intensive Care, Emergency and Respiratory Physicians interested in furthering their knowledge and application of ultrasound in the examination of the parenchymal lung and pleural diseases in intensive care units, emergency departments and respiratory ward settings.
As lung ultrasound is one of the new developments in ultrasound application, this course aims to provide the participant with understanding of ultrasonography physics and application to lung point of care ultrasound; identification of different lung pathology based on lung ultrasound images and patterns.
The course also involves teaching how to examine the pleura and how to use real-time ultrasound needle guidance in thoracentesis pleural drainage using our thoracocentesis phantom.
// This course is also available in Gold Coast, QLD — Point of Care Lung Ultrasound Course (Gold Coast)
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- General Practitioner
- ICU Registrar
- Junior House Officer
- Respiratory Physician
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this PoCUS lung ultrasound course are:
- Identify the parameters of safe application of ultrasound in medical diagnosis;
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing lung and pleural ultrasonography;
- Practice “hands on” ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions;
- Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal and abnormal structures required to answer common clinical questions;
- Perform Basic Cardiac, Guided Vascular Access and Lung ultrasounds;
- Interpret images from normal adult volunteers;
- Recognise the variants and abnormalities from presentations & case-based learning;
- Document ultrasound findings;
- Apply protocols required in all examinations discussed;
- Incorporate the ultrasound skills with the clinical situation to make appropriate management decisions regarding respiratory and pleural illnesses;
- Recognise the limitations of ultrasound;
- Judge when to on-refer a patient for formal scanning.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Pleural Effusion
This course is approved for 15 total activity hours. PDP units: 1 Performance Review, 2 Performance Review, 12 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 1. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium. RACGP Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 192311.
Canon Medical Systems ANZ Pty Ltd
14 Talavera Rd
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.