Paediatric Ultrasound Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP
- Introduction to Physics and machine optimisation
- Needle guidance techniques
- Introduction to lung ultrasound
- Basic soft tissue
- Extended Focused Abdominal Scan for Trauma (eFAST)
- Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS)
- Gastrointestinal tract – pyloric stenosis, intussusception, constipation
- Renal tract ultrasound
- Introduction to the Rapid Ultrasound in Shock (RUSH) protocol.
Paediatric ultrasound as a subspecialty requires years of practice because of the need to detail minute anatomical variations on moving targets in order to rule out high risk diagnoses in a precious population. Fortunately, most clinicians working with children are interested in using ultrasound for specific basic purposes (fast-tracking, diagnostic streaming, or procedural support).
This Paediatric ultrasound course will teach the principles of point of care ultrasound (PoCUS) in the paediatric population and outline areas where PoCUS assessments can help with procedures or guide bedside diagnostic evaluation, as well as helping the clinician to recognise where a more detailed evaluation is necessary.
Who should attend?
- ICU Registrar
- Junior House Officer
- Rural Generalist
The objectives of this Paediatric ultrasound course are:
- Identify the parameters for the safe application of ultrasound and its limitations in medical diagnosis
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound
- Practice hands-on ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions
- Recognise normal sonographic appearances to answer common clinical questions
- Acquire images obtained on normal adult volunteers and children
- Correlate ultrasound skills with clinical reasoning to make appropriate management decisions
- Identify the limitations of ultrasound
- Identify when to on-refer patients for formal scanning.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Vascular Access
Course 030 is approved for 37 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 36 total activity hours. PDP units: 1 Performance Review, 35 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 1. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 10.5 hours, Reviewing Performance 24 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 5 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and 3 days Emergency Medicine training grants. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 433866.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.