Basic Echo Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP, ANZCA, CICM
- Normal adult anatomy
- Sonographic appearances and terminology
- 2D cardiac anatomy
- Measurements, using 2D, M-mode and Tissue
- Wall motion assessment
- Valvular assessment using colour, pulsed wave
- Normal examination protocol – putting it all together
- Common pathologies
- Clinical case studies
This intensive five-day Basic Echo course provides practitioners at the beginning of the learning curve in cardiac imaging with anatomy, physiology, a detailed knowledge of sonographic planes, terminology, measurements and valvular assessment.
Course content assumes an understanding of:
- The basic physics of ultrasound, including the basic principles of Doppler.
- The cardiac cycle and relationship to the ECG.
Who should attend?
- Cardio-thoracic Surgeon
- Emergency Physician
- General Physician
- General Practitioner
- ICU Registrar
- Junior House Officer
- Palliative Medicine Physician
- Renal Physician
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this ultrasound course are:
- To provide a detailed description of the sonographic appearances of the heart
- To provide an insight into the haemodynamics and physiology of the heart
- To describe routine measurements associated with M-Mode, 2D and Doppler
- To describe the normal values for heart chamber sizes and wall thickness
- To assess the valves, using qualitative and quantitative analysis and measurements
- To provide an understanding of the physics of Colour and Doppler
- To develop an appreciation of the clinical terminology used in echocardiography
- To provide an overview of common pathologies identified by ultrasound examination
- To provide participants with an opportunity for extensive tutor assisted hands-on echocardiographic experience and access to experienced sonographers for specific problems
CCPU units included in the course:
- Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS)
- Rapid Cardiac Echocardiography (RCE protocol)
Course 027 is approved for 37.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 36 total activity hours. PDP units: 3 Performance Review, 32 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 12 hours, Reviewing Performance 21.5 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 5 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and 3 days Emergency Medicine training grants. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 433853.
Participants in the ANZCA and FPM CPD program may claim this this course under the Knowledge and Skills activity short format learning at 2 credits per hour.
Lectures – Category 2A, points per hour 1;
Demonstrations – Category 2B, points per hour 2;
Skills – Category 3B, points per hour 3.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.