Critical Care Echocardiography Course
If you’re seeking to complete your compulsory focused echocardiography course in your CICM training portfolio, this is the right course for you.
This 3-day course aims to address focused echocardiography in critical care — not only covering the CICM syllabus for focused critical care echocardiography (2D Echo), but also giving an overview of more advanced echocardiographic features (colour flow imaging, Doppler studies, advanced haemodynamic calculations).
We also emphasise a multi-system scanning protocol integrating cardiac and lung ultrasound findings. Case discussions cover major pathologies in various shock states.
This course is recommended for trainees and consultants in ICU from beginner to intermediate skills level. Small groups, high number of faculty and a large proportion of the course dedicated to actual scanning ensures real hands-on experience.
Topics covered include:
- Ultrasound physics and equipment;
- Shocked patient assessment (FELS & Lung);
- Transthoracic echocardiographic views and imaging planes;
- 2D Echo (LV, RV, Pericardium & fluid status) — **as per CICM syllabus**
- Colour flow imaging and Doppler studies;
- Fluid status, fluid responsiveness and fluid tolerance.
Who should attend?
- Critical Care Medical Officer
- Intensive Care Trainee
- Intensive Care Consultant
- Intensive Care Physician
The objectives of this critical care echocardiography course are:
- Perform a focused ICU echo;
- Interpret major abnormalities (ventricular function, valvular function, pericardial assessment);
- Assess fluid status and fluid responsiveness;
- Perform lung ultrasound in the ICU setting;
- Differentiate between shock states according to ultrasound findings (cardiogenic, obstructive, distributive, hypovolemic);
- Integrate ultrasound findings and answer clinical questions based on assessment;
- Follow progress of patients and modify therapy based on ultrasound studies.
Approved CICM training course.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.