Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS) Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP
- Basic physical principles of ultrasound
- Ultrasound machine orientation
- Transducer manipulation techniques
- Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS — formerly BELS)
Is there tamponade, right heart failure, left heart failure, massive pulmonary embolism or hypovolemia? These are five vital questions in the acute care of critical illness. This Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS) course (formerly BELS) teaches you simple heart views to answer these questions, and how to cross reference with IVC scanning, to reinforce your interpretation.
This is not a comprehensive echocardiography course, but it is an important beginning. BELS ultrasound will teach you the paradigms that underpin problem based multi-system scanning.
Through out the day you will practice the skill on different patients. By the end of the day, you should be able to scan, label, save and interpret a set of scans that support your clinical decision. This one-day FELS course is all about learning what you don’t know, what you need to know, and what you need to practice safely.
Who should attend?
- Cardio-thoracic Surgeon
- Emergency Physician
- General Physician
- General Practitioner
- General Surgeon
- ICU Registrar
- Junior House Officer
- Nurse Practitioner
- Palliative Medicine Physician
- Respiratory Physician
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this BELS ultrasound course are:
- Identify the parameters of safe application of ultrasound and its limitations in medical diagnosis;
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound;
- Practice hands-on ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions;
- Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal and abnormal structures required to answer common clinical questions;
- Perform BELS ultrasound techniques;
- Acquire images obtained on normal adult patient models and phantoms;
- Interpret images from normal adult patient models;
- Recognise the variants and abnormalities from presentations and case-based learning;
- Document the ultrasound findings;
- Equip the learner with the foundation skills to begin to incorporate the ultrasound skills with the clinical situation to make appropriate management decisions;
CCPU units included in the course:
- Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS)
Course 019 is approved for 7.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 9 total activity hours. PDP units: 9 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 1.75 hours, Reviewing Performance 6.75 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 1 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and Emergency Medicine training grants. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 402502.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided.