Procedural Guidance Ultrasound Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP
Most clinicians ‘pick-up’ ultrasound guidance techniques in clinical work – few are formally taught. This ultrasound guided procedures course has been designed to give practitioners an understanding of ultrasound guided techniques, machine optimisation and includes tips and traps, anatomy familiarisation on real patient models and needling practice on phantoms. Small group practical sessions with experienced tutors will allow attendees the time to master these techniques in a stress free environment.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- General Surgeon
- ICU Registrar
- Junior House Officer
- Pain Management Specialist
- Palliative Medicine Physician
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this ultrasound guided procedures course are:
- Identify the parameters for the safe application of ultrasound and its limitations in medical diagnosis;
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound;
- Practice hands-on ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions;
- Perform ultrasound guided vascular access techniques on phantoms;
- Perform ultrasound guided steep needle techniques for Paracentesis and Thoracentesis;
- Acquire images obtained on normal adult patient models and phantoms;
- Interpret images from normal adult volunteers;
- Equip the learner with the foundation skills to begin to incorporate the ultrasound skills with the clinical situation to make appropriate management decisions.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Vascular Access (6.5 myASUM CPD points)
Course 021 is approved for 7.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 9 total activity hours. PDP units: 1 Performance Review, 8 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium. RACGP Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 192289.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided.