Basic Emergency Medicine Ultrasound Course (PoCUS)
(AAA, Lung, FELS)
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP
The Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM) now supports all trainees to understand and perform a range of simple bedside ultrasound scans. Thos three-day introductory PoCUS course teaches you how to use an ultrasound machine to identify the most important of the life threatening illnesses.
This course is designed to take complete novices, or those wanting a refresh, through the basics of machine familiarisation, probe manipulation, and normal anatomy. We teach simple protocols to identify dangerous aortic aneurysms, major heart and common lung pathologies.
Short courses start your credentialing and journey to competence. However, competence requires extensive practice – but with this course you will know what, how and where to start. You will be able to recognise ultrasound anatomy and interpret other people’s images.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- Junior House Officer
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this emergency ultrasound course are:
- Define the indications and views needed for each protocol;
- Recognise and obtain good quality images for each protocol on real patient models with a variety of body habitus;
- Understand the implementation of each protocol using case-based quizzes;
- Recognise pathology within the context of a clinical scenario;
- Discuss clinical decision making in the light of the information obtained;
- Synthesise three tools to model multi-system scanning, with the aim of improving patient care.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
- Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (FELS)
Course 015 is approved for 23 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 23 total activity hours. PDP units: 12 Performance Review, 8 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 6, 24. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium. RACGP Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 238174.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.