Basic Emergency Medicine Ultrasound Course (PoCUS)
(AAA, Lung, eFAST, FELS)
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP
- AAA normal anatomy and significant abnormality
- eFAST normal anatomy, required views and significant pathology
- FELS, cardiac arrest scenarios
- Lung ultrasound in the breathless patient
The Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM) now supports all trainees to understand and perform a range of simple bedside ultrasound scans. This four-day introductory PoCUS course encompasses the most important life threatening emergencies.
This course is designed to take complete novices right through the basics of machine familiarisation, probe manipulation, and normal anatomy. We teach simple protocols to identify dangerous aortic aneurysms, free fluid in the abdomen, pericardium and pleural space, major heart and common lung pathologies.
No prior ultrasound knowledge is required. Our tutors will start you with the correct techniques that you will need throughout your scanning career. This course is recommended for those who wish to sit down quietly and optimise their hand-eye coordination in a non-stressful situation.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- Junior House Officer
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this emergency PoCUS ultrasound course are:
- Understand and optimise machine settings for safe implementation of each protocol;
- Define the indications and views needed for each protocol;
- Recognise and obtain good quality images for each protocol on (relatively) healthy volunteers with a variety of body habitus;
- Understand the implementation of each protocol using case-based quizzes;
- Recognise pathology within the context of a clinical scenario;
- Discuss clinical decision making in the light of the information obtained;
- Synthesise four new tools to model multi-system scanning, with the aim of improving patient care.
CCPU units included in the course:
Course 003 is approved for 30.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 29 total activity hours. PDP units: 16 Performance Review, 13 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 30, 6. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 7.25 hours, Reviewing Performance 21.25 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 4 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and 3 days Emergency Medicine training grants. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 401664.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.