Shoulder Ultrasound Course
ACEM, ACRRM, AOA, RACGP
- Shoulder ultrasound
Please contact us to be notified when this course is next scheduled.
This one day program is designed for all health professionals with an interest in musculoskeletal (MSK) ultrasound for the shoulder.
Our approach is unique. We combine sonographer and clinician approaches to MSK Ultrasound.
Highly experienced MSK sonographers cover ultrasound examination of various musculoskeletal structures, with particular emphasis on scanning protocols and “tips & hints” for obtaining high quality images. You’ll develop knowledge and skills required to perform a basic and competent, protocol driven, sonographic assessment of the joints of the MSK system.
Then, and recognising that MSK ultrasound performed at point of care is different, a skilled and experienced Musculoskeletal Physician and point of care ultrasound practitioner will demonstrate how to integrate sonographic findings into your clinical consultation using an evidence-based approach.
Practical tuition is in small group sessions, using state of the art equipment and real patient models. You’ll have plenty of hands-on scanning time, all under the direct instruction of experienced sonographers and clinicians.
The objectives of this musculoskeletal ultrasound course are:
- Develop practical skills to recognise normal and pathological musculoskeletal sono-anatomy of the shoulder.
- Evaluation of an ultrasound image to identify normal MSK anatomy of the shoulder which includes bone, joint, tendon, ligament, bursae and muscular recognition.
- Develop practical skills required to perform ultrasound assessment of the rotator cuff including tendons, bursae, congenital and acquired musculoskeletal conditions and pathologies.
- Identify ultrasound artefacts (particularly anisotropy) and apply optimisation techniques to help reduce ultrasound artefact.
- Discuss safe practice, hygiene, and recognition of potential pitfalls in MSK ultrasound.
- Develop positioning techniques for static and dynamic assessment of the shoulder.
- Recognise good sonographic windows for ultrasound scanning and MSK procedural guidance techniques of the rotator cuff.
- Interpret the clinical relevance of pathology, to be able to determine patient management pathways for patients.
Course 051 is approved for 7.75 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 8.5 total activity hours. PDP units: 3.15 Educational Activity, 4.15 Performance Review. MOPS points: 4.15 Radiology. Grant eligibility: Anaesthetics, Emergency Medicine, Obstetrics, Surgery.
7 CPD points.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 2.5 hours, Reviewing Performance 6 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 410552.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.