Intrapartum Ultrasound Course
ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP, ACM
- Assessment of fetal head position.
- Assessment of fetal head station.
- Assessment of fetal head descent.
- Assessment of fetal head attitude.
- Assessment of fetal well being in labour.
- Assessment of maternal complications intrapartum.
- Assessment of emerging trends in the use of ultrasound in the labour ward.
This two-day Intrapartum Ultrasound course is specifically designed for Obstetricians, Midwives and Nurses who have an interest in point of care ultrasound (PoCUS).
Traditionally the assessment and management of labour is based on clinical findings. The diagnosis of poor progress in labour and decisions regarding the timing and type of assistance required relies on evaluation of cervical dilatation, descent and position of the presenting part.
Ultrasound in active labour is not yet routinely used even though studies have shown that it is more precise and reproducible than clinical examination particularly in assessment of the position of the fetal head.
This course will demonstrate how ultrasound may be a useful adjunct to clinical assessment in the management of a woman and her baby in the labour ward.
Who should attend?
- Junior House Officer
- Obstetric Registrar
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this obstetrician ultrasound course are:
- To review the published techniques of ultrasound use in labour ward and their practical application.
- To summarise the level of evidence regarding the use of ultrasound in labour ward.
- To provide guidance to practitioners when ultrasound in labour ward is clinically indicated.
- To provide an understanding of how sonographic findings may influence labour ward management.
Course 039 is approved for 15 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 15 total activity hours. PDP units: 1 Performance Review, 14 Performance Review. MOPS points: 6, 15. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 5.5 hours, Reviewing Performance 9.5 hours. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 434420.
Australian College of Midwives CPD Endorsed Activity.
Our esteemed course faculty, Svigos JM, Gopinathan B, and Moffat A, have published the below articles on Intrapartum Ultrasound.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.