Obstetric Ultrasound Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP, RANZCOG
This five-day Obstetric ultrasound course will have you examining all trimesters of pregnancy.
Develop and master transabdominal and transvaginal techniques to acquire, interpret, document and apply ultrasound to clinical management and improve patient care. Identify pathology, multiple pregnancy and pregnancy of unknown location. Locate correct planar anatomy and measure fetal biometry, AFI and Dopplers.
Consolidate your skills with our mastery approach to learning, with hands-on practical scanning on real patient models. This course allows you time to consolidate skills over the five days.
Who should attend?
- Junior House Officer
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this obstetric ultrasound course are:
First Trimester Ultrasound:
- Identify and examine an intrauterine pregnancy with a heartbeat present;
- Describe the criteria for failed pregnancy;
- Describe pregnancy of unknown location;
- Scanning on transvaginal phantoms.
Third Trimester Ultrasound:
- Identify and measure cervix length;
- Identify and examine the placenta;
- Describe some placenta, cord & cervix- variants & pathology;
- Discuss translabial scanning;
- Establish fetal lie and locate fetal structures;
- Identify and record cardiac activity using M-mode and pulsed wave;
- Locate correct planar anatomy and measure fetal biometry (BPD, HC, AC, FL, EFW)
- Identify normal and abnormal fetal anatomy in the following fetal regions: head, heart, abdomen, pelvis, spine, limbs;
- Identify signs of fetal wellbeing;
- Scan and measure the Amniotic Fluid Index;
- Scan and measure the umbilical artery cord Doppler;
- Describe the limitations of point of care ultrasound and when to on-refer the patient.
CCPU Units included in this course:
- Basic Early Pregnancy
- Basic Monitoring the Fetus
Course 035 is approved for 37.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 33 total activity hours. PDP units: 33 Educational Activity. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Accredited Activity 40 points under RACGP 2020-22 CPD program. Approved for specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 4 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and 3 days Emergency Medicine training grants. RACGP Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 192306.
Approved for RANZCOG Trainees for FRANZCOG training.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.