Early Pregnancy Ultrasound Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP
- Early pregnancy assessment
This early pregnancy ultrasound course is specifically designed for health professionals who have an interest in point of care ultrasound (PoCUS). Fine-tune your technique with a systematic approach to practical hands-on scanning on varying gestations.
- Establish a systematic approach to transabdominal and transvaginal scanning;
- Answer critical questions in early pregnancy;
- Evaluate viability of the pregnancy;
- Survey the pelvis for pregnancy of unknown location;
- Confirm an intrauterine pregnancy;
- Describe the criteria for failed pregnancy.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- General Practitioner
- Junior House Officer
- Nurse Practitioner
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
The objectives of this early pregnancy ultrasound course are:
- Identify the parameters for the safe application of ultrasound in early pregnancy and its limitations in medical diagnosis;
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound;
- Practice hands-on ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions;
- Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal and abnormal structures required to answer common clinical questions;
- Acquire images obtained on pregnant patient models;
- Interpret images on a variety of pregnant patient models;
- Recognise the variants and abnormalities from presentations and case-based learning;
- Document the ultrasound findings;
- Describe the criteria for early pregnancy loss;
- Describe the ultrasound appearances of pregnancies of unknown location;
- Equip the learner with the foundation skills to begin to incorporate the ultrasound skills with the clinical situation to make appropriate management decisions.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Basic Early Pregnancy
Course 022 is approved for 4.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 7 total activity hours. PDP units: 3 Performance Review, 2 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 3, 3. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 1 hours, Reviewing Performance 5 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 402524.
Morning tea and refreshments are provided.