Introduction to Obstetric Ultrasound Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP, RANZCOG
- Ultrasound machine orientation
- Transducer manipulation techniques
- Early pregnancy assessment
- First trimester ultrasound
- Third trimester ultrasound
This three-day obstetric ultrasound course is specifically designed for all medical professionals. You will evaluate both first and third trimesters of pregnancy with a systematic approach to scanning.
It is suitable for those who aim to develop transabdominal and transvaginal techniques (Phantom only) to acquire, interpret, and apply ultrasound to clinical management and improve patient care.
Day three is dedicated to pure practical scanning from start to finish – no lectures, no demos!
With a 3:1 tutor ratio it is a great opportunity to improve and gain confidence in your obstetric scanning skills.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- General Practitioner
- Junior House Officer
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
- Obstetric Registrar
On completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Identify and examine an intrauterine pregnancy.
- Identify, measure and document a fetal heartbeat.
- Describe the criteria for failed pregnancy.
- Describe pregnancy of unknown location.
- Commence scanning on transvaginal phantoms.
- Identify & measure the cervical length.
- Identify & examine the placenta.
- Describe some placenta, cord & cervix — variants & pathology.
- Discuss translabial scanning.
- Establish fetal lie and locate fetal structures.
- Identify & record cardiac activity using both M mode and Pulsed Wave (>12 weeks).
- Locate correct planar anatomy & measure fetal biometry (BPD, HC, AC & FL & EFW).
- Identify signs of fetal wellbeing.
- Assess and measure the Amniotic Fluid Index (AFI) and Deepest Vertical Pocket (DVP).
- Assess and perform the measurements of the umbilical artery cord doppler and the middle cerebral artery cord doppler.
- Describe the limitations of point of care ultrasound and when to on-refer the patient.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Basic Early Pregnancy
- Monitoring the Foetus
Course 036 is approved for 22.75 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 22 total activity hours. PDP units: 14 Performance Review, 7 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 6. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 4 hours, Reviewing Performance 16.5 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 2 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and Emergency Medicine training grants. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 433829.
Approved for RANZCOG Trainees for FRANZCOG training.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.