Introduction to Obstetric Ultrasound Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP, RANZCOG
This three-day obstetric ultrasound course is specifically designed for medical professionals who have an interest in point of care ultrasound (PoCUS).
It is suitable for those who aim to develop and master transabdominal and transvaginal techniques to acquire, interpret, and apply ultrasound to clinical management and improve patient care.
Day three is dedicated to pure practical scanning from start to finish – No lectures, No demos!
With a 3:1 tutor ratio it is a great opportunity to improve and gain confidence in your obstetric scanning skills.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- General Practitioner
- Junior House Officer
- Nurse Practitioner
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
On completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Identify and examine an intrauterine pregnancy with a heartbeat present;
- Describe the criteria for failed pregnancy;
- Describe pregnancy of unknown location;
- Commence scanning on transvaginal phantoms;
- Identify & measure the cervix length;
- Identify & examine the placenta;
- Describe some placenta, cord & cervix- variants & pathology;
- Discuss translabial scanning;
- Establish fetal lie and locate fetal structures;
- Identify & record cardiac activity;
- Pulsed Wave ( > 12 weeks);
- Locate correct planar anatomy & measure fetal biometry (BPD, HC, AC & FL & EFW);
- Identify signs of fetal wellbeing;
- Scan & measure the Amniotic Fluid Index;
- Scan & measure the umbilical artery cord Doppler;
- Be aware of the limitations of point of care ultrasound and when to on-refer the patient.
CCPU units included in the course:
- Basic Early Pregnancy
- Monitoring the Foetus
Course 036 is approved for 22.75 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 22 total activity hours. PDP units: 14 Performance Review, 7 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 6. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Accredited Activity 40 points under RACGP 2020-22 CPD program. Approved for specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 2 days training grants Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and Emergency Medicine. RACGP Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 193162.
Approved for RANZCOG Trainees for FRANZCOG training.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.