Third Trimester Ultrasound Course
- System orientation and probe manipulation techniques
- Transabdominal, transvaginal and translabial techniques
- Identifying the cervix
- Placental location
- Fetal presentation (location and lie)
- Fetal Biometry
- Amniotic Fluid Index (AFI)
- Cord Doppler
This two-day third trimester ultrasound course is specifically designed for Midwives and Nurses who have an interest in point of care ultrasound (PoCUS). This course focusses on hands-on practical scanning of real patient models of varying gestations within the third trimester.
Who should attend?
- General Practitioner
- Junior House Officer
- Nurse Practitioner
- Retrieval Medicine Physician
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
On completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Identify and measure the cervix length;
- Identify and examine the placenta;
- Describe some placenta, cord and cervix variants and pathology;
- Establish fetal lie and locate fetal structures;
- Identify and record cardiac activity;
- Locate correct planar anatomy and measure fetal biometry (BPD, HC, AC & FL & EFW);
- Identify signs of fetal wellbeing;
- Scan and measure the Amniotic Fluid Index (AFI);
- Scan and measure the umbilical artery cord Doppler;
- Be aware of the limitations of point of care ultrasound and when to on-refer the patient.
Australian College of Midwives CPD Endorsed Activity, 13 CPD Endorsed hours.
This event is approved as continuing midwifery education by the Midwifery Council. Approval number: 2019CME016E
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.