Introduction to Obstetric Ultrasound Course
ASUM, ACEM, ACRRM, RACGP, ACM, RANZCOG
This two-day basic obstetric ultrasound course is specifically designed for all medical professionals.
It is suitable for those who aim to develop transabdominal and transvaginal techniques (Phantom only) to acquire, interpret, and apply ultrasound to clinical management and improve patient care. Practical scanning of real patient models at varying gestations is included across the two days.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Physician
- General Practitioner
- Junior House Officer
- Rural Generalist
- Senior House Officer
- Obstetric Registrar
On completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Identify & examine an intrauterine pregnancy with a heartbeat present.
- Identify, measure and document a fetal heartbeat.
- Describe the criteria for failed pregnancy.
- Describe pregnancy of unknown location.
- Commence scanning on transvaginal phantoms.
- Identify & measure the cervical length.
- Identify & examine the placenta.
- Describe some placenta, cord & cervix — variants & pathology.
- Discuss translabial scanning.
- Establish fetal lie and locate fetal structures.
- Identify & record cardiac activity,using M mode and Pulsed wave (>12 weeks).
- Locate correct planar anatomy & measure fetal biometry (BPD, HC, AC & FL & EFW).
- Identify signs of fetal wellbeing.
- Assess and measure the Amniotic Fluid Index (AFI) and Deepest Vertical Pocket (DVP).
- Assess and perform the measurements of the umbilical artery cord doppler and the middle cerebral artery cord doppler.
- Describe the limitations of point of care ultrasound and when to on-refer the patient.
CCPU Units included in this course:
- Basic Early Pregnancy
- Basic Monitoring the Fetus
Course 037 is approved for 15.25 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies.
This course is approved for 16 total activity hours. PDP units: 1 Performance Review, 15 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 1. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
CPD Approved Activity under RACGP 2023-25 CPD program. Approved for Educational Activities 4 hours, Reviewing Performance 10.5 hours, specific requirements diagnostic radiology, 2 days Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery and Emergency Medicine training grants. Provider Number 214288, Activity ID 394853.
Australian College of Midwives CPD Endorsed Activity.
Approved for RANZCOG Trainees for FRANZCOG training.
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided each day.