Introduction to Intensive Care Ultrasound - 3 Day Course
A 3-day program, which is constantly revised to reflect current practice, is designed for Critical Care specialists interested in ultrasound techniques useful in their specialty.
This intensive program provides participants with tuition in basic physical principles, understanding of sonographic planes, terminology, measurements and probe manipulation skills, along with techniques involved in ultrasound Needle Guidance and Vascular Access, Basic Echo in Life Support and Lung ultrasound. There is an emphasis on the practical aspects of these topics with comprehensive “hands-on” tuition, led by expert sonographers. Tuition is conducted in small groups and limited to 4 students to allow for adequate time to practice.
- Physical principles & knobology
- Probe manipulation techniques
- Sonographic appearances & terminology
- Vascular Access and Needle guidance techniques
- Basic cardiac scanning techniques (Basic Echo in Life Support)
- Lung ultrasound
- To provide an overview of the physical principles and artifacts associated with B-Mode
- To provide an understanding of basic system optimisation
- To review relational anatomy
- To provide the scanning skills required to maximise technical ability
- To provide an understanding of protocols required in all examinations discussed
ACCREDITATION & APPROVALS
ASUM | Accredited CCPU units included in the course:
- BELS (Basic Echocardiography in Life Support)
- Pleural Effusion
- Vascular Access
ACEM | This course accredited for 23 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as complying with ACEM standards and policies for BELS (including cardiac arrest), Vascular Access. Lung, Pleural Effusion, Assessment in Undifferentiated Shock, Ultrasound Guided Procedures (Abscess Aspiration, Thoracentesis, Lumbar Puncture and Paracentesis).
ACRRM | This course is approved for 22 total activity hours. PDP units: 4 Performance Review, 18 Educational Activity. MOPS points: 4. Grant eligibility: Emergency Medicine, Anaesthetics, Obstetrics, Surgery.
ANZCA | Participants in the ANZCA and FPM CPD program may claim this this course under the Knowledge and skills activity Short format learning at 2 credits per hour
CICM | Lectures – Category 2A, points per hour 1;
Demonstrations – Category 2B, points per hour 2;
Skills – Category 3B, points per hour 3
RACGP | This course is an RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 CPD Program points in 2020-22 Triennium. RACGP ID 192319.
Gold Coast Office
2 Miami Key
Broadbeach Waters, QLD 4218